Commercial Flooring: How to Choose the Best Flooring for Your Business
When it comes to running a business, every detail matters, including the flooring. The right commercial flooring can enhance the aesthetic look and feel of your workspace and impact the productivity and comfort of both employees and customers.
However, with numerous options available, selecting the perfect flooring can be a daunting task.
In this article, we will explore commercial flooring and its advantages and guide you through the various options so you can make an informed decision.
What Is Commercial Flooring?
Commercial flooring is a type of flooring that’s used in commercial or business environments and is designed to endure high foot activity. It’s widely used in businesses, schools, and hospitals.
Consider important factors like durability, functionality, safety, aesthetics, and your budget when selecting commercial flooring.
What Are the Advantages of Commercial Flooring?
There are several advantages and benefits to opting for commercial flooring. These include safety, comfort, reduced noise levels and more. In this section, we’ll explore these benefits.
Commercial flooring surfaces are slip-resistant, ensuring safety in high-traffic areas and reducing the risk of accidents. These materials not only meet but also exceed safety regulations, ensuring that your business workspace becomes a no-slip zone.
Longevity and Strength
These floors are built to withstand the immense demands of busy commercial spaces. They are durable and resistant to scratches, marks, wear, and tear. Whether you install them in a busy lobby with high foot traffic, an office with heavy furniture, or an industrial setting with moving equipment, you can rest assured they are more than durable enough to meet your needs.
Choosing commercial flooring can increase productivity and enhance the efficiency of your business. Ergonomic flooring options, such as cushioned surfaces, can provide comfort and support for your employees, particularly those who work long hours.
Commercial flooring is designed in a way that makes it easy to maintain, requiring minimal maintenance from time to time. This feature makes it convenient to clean and care for in busy working spaces. Additionally, these floorings are resistant to spills, which can be cleaned up just as easily.
Excessive noise in a work environment can be distracting to both your employees and customers. However, with commercial flooring options such as carpets, sound levels can be minimised due to their sound-absorbing nature. This helps create a more comfortable and pleasant atmosphere.
Better Place to Work
Opting for commercial flooring for your business will make the office space a better place to work overall. Creating a comfortable and aesthetic environment is essential for both your employees and your customers. It will boost employee morale and keep their spirits high while also creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere for customers.
What Are the Different Kinds of Flooring That Are Used in Businesses?
There are various kinds of commercial flooring that you can have installed, each with its own pros and cons. Let’s take a look at each one below.
Concrete is created by mixing cement, water, and other aggregates. It is commonly used in industries, warehouses, and retail stores.
- Concrete is incredibly durable and can withstand heavy loads and equipment.
- It requires low maintenance and is easy to clean.
- It is fire-resistant.
- The hard surface of concrete may not provide optimal comfort for longer durations.
- Improper installation may lead to cracking.
- Concrete lacks insulation, resulting in a colder environment.
Resin flooring is created by combining liquid synthetic resins, hardeners, and additives that undergo a chemical reaction. It is commonly found in healthcare centres, restaurant kitchens, and similar environments.
- It provides a smooth feel and aesthetic appearance.
- It is highly resistant to chemicals and stains.
- It is durable and easy to clean.
- It has higher costs compared to other flooring options.
- Resin is sensitive to temperature fluctuations.
- It requires more maintenance.
Vinyl is made from synthetic materials, PVC being the top pick, which is combined with other additives. You can find vinyl flooring in various business settings, including offices and schools.
- Vinyl is an affordable option for those on a budget.
- It’s available in a wide range of colours and design choices.
- It’s easy to clean and resistant to stains and scratches.
- Vinyl is less durable compared to other flooring options.
- Vinyl is less appealing than other types of flooring.
- If an area is damaged, it can be difficult to repair, and you’ll need to replace the entire section.
Wood flooring is generally made from solid hardwood and is given a polished look. It’s commonly used in restaurants, offices, and hospital settings to create a sophisticated and warm atmosphere.
- Wood flooring provides a natural and aesthetic look.
- It offers durability and resists wear and tear.
- Wood flooring offers insulation and noise reduction.
- Wood flooring can be quite costly.
- Scratches and dents are more noticeable on wood floors.
- You’ll need to maintain it regularly.
Laminate flooring consists of a compressed fiberboard core with a photographic layer that mimics the appearance of natural materials. It is a cost-effective solution for offices and other business spaces.
- Laminate is affordable.
- It offers a wide variety of design options.
- It is easy to clean and maintain.
- It is not considered a luxury option.
- Laminate can create a hollow sound when walked upon.
- Quality can vary depending on the manufacturer.
Rubber flooring is made from synthetic materials and is commonly used in gyms, schools, and other locations where durability is required.
- It has a slip-resistant surface.
- Rubber flooring provides comfort.
- Rubber has sound-absorbing properties.
- Regular waxing is necessary to maintain its appearance.
- Rubber flooring has limited design options.
Luxury Vinyl Tile (LVT)
LVT (Luxury Vinyl Tile) flooring consists of several layers, including a vinyl backing, a core layer, and a design layer. LVT is commonly found in stores and healthcare facilities.
- LVT provides a high-end look at a more affordable cost.
- It offers multiple design options to choose from.
- LVT flooring is easy to clean and maintain.
- LVT flooring typically has a shorter lifespan compared to some other flooring options.
- It may not provide the same level of luxury as natural materials.
What’s the Best Flooring for a Business?
There is no single best flooring option that suits every business setting. The choice of flooring depends on your specific needs, the desired aesthetics, and the functionality you require. Here are some common recommendations for different scenarios.
What’s the Best Commercial Flooring for Places With Heavy Foot Traffic?
Concrete or vinyl flooring works well for businesses that experience high foot traffic. These options are durable and can withstand wear and tear effectively.
What’s the Best Commercial Flooring for Places Where People Might Slip and Fall?
Rubber and resin flooring are non-slip surfaces that provide excellent foot traction. They help prevent accidents in your business.
What’s the Best Commercial Flooring for Places That Get Hot?
Ceramic tiles are resistant to heat and help keep your business space cool. Concrete is another solid option.
What’s the Best Commercial Flooring for Large Pieces of Equipment?
If your business involves the use of heavy equipment, you can consider opting for concrete or resin flooring. These options are highly durable and capable of handling the weight of machinery effectively.
What’s a Commercial Flooring Contractor?
A commercial flooring contractor is a professional individual or company that instals and maintains flooring for commercial and business purposes. They have the necessary experience and expertise required to ensure that your business receives the flooring it deserves.
How Do You Care For Flooring in a Business?
Ensuring proper care for your flooring is essential for prolonging its lifespan and maintaining its appearance. Be sure to regularly clean the flooring, use floor protective mats to prevent scratches, and schedule professional maintenance according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
How Do You Clean Commercial Flooring?
Depending on the type of flooring, you’ll need to clean it regularly by sweeping or vacuuming to remove dust and debris. It’s also important to immediately wipe any spills to prevent stains. If you’re unsure about the cleaning process, refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for guidance.
How Do You Instal Flooring in a Business?
If you’re considering installing flooring for your business, it’s essential to plan and execute the process carefully.
- Start by determining your flooring needs.
- Prepare the subfloor, ensuring accurate measurements and material requirements.
- Proceed with applying adhesive to ensure the flooring material sticks properly to the floor.
- Add any finishing touches that you feel are needed.
How Much Does Flooring for a Business Cost?
Depending on the material, prices can range from as low as £5 per square metre to £500 per square metre.
Is Commercial Flooring and Industrial Flooring the Same?
No, commercial flooring is distinct from industrial flooring.
Commercial flooring refers to flooring designed for commercial spaces like offices or retail stores, prioritising aesthetics and comfort. Industrial flooring, on the other hand, is specifically made for heavy-duty machinery and industrial equipment. It’s designed to be highly durable and safe.
Is Commercial Flooring Environmentally Friendly?
Yes, commercial flooring can be environmentally friendly if certain considerations are taken into account during the selection and installation process.
However, on the flip side, there is also commercial flooring that is generally not considered to have a positive environmental impact.
Some types of flooring cause less harm than others. According to research, wood flooring has the least impact on the environment, while carpets and marble tiles have the highest.
Finding the right flooring for your business can be a challenging task. With numerous factors to consider, it’s easy to become overwhelmed and struggle to make a decision.
In such cases, why not leave it to the professionals? At Clever Carpets, we assure you that we will take care of all your carpeting and flooring requirements. Contact us now to receive the best possible service.